Pearls are an organic gem and they require a very specialized care that if done properly will protect them for a very long time. They can be harmed by contact with many chemicals found in household cleaners, perfumes, cosmetics and hair care products of all kinds.
Always remember that your Pearls should be the LAST THING YOU PUT ON when dressing and the FIRST THING YOU TAKE OFF when get home.
- Never use toothbrushes, scouring pads or any type of abrasive material to clean your Pearls.
- Never expose your Pearls to dish or laundry detergents, bleaches, powdered cleansers, baking soda or any ammonia based cleaner like Windex.
- Never use any type of ultrasonic cleaner.
- Never steam clean your Pearls.
- Never use tarnish remover or any type of jewelry cleaner advertised on TV as a miracle cleaner.
- Never store your pearls in any type of plastic bag. Plastic can emit a chemical that will cause the surface of the Pearl to deteriorate.
- Never leave your pearls around a direct source of heat such as a fireplace mantle, on top of a television set, or stove.
- Never store your Pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for a long time. Your Pearls need a little moisture like your skin so that they will not dry out.
- Always use only jewelry cleaners that are labeled as safe for Pearls.
- Always store your Pearls wrapped in a soft cloth or pouch and protected from all abrasive objects.
- Always wipe your Pearls with a soft cloth moistened with water.
- Always remove your Pearls if you reapply hair spray, or put on perfume with a sprayer, both can damage Pearls.
- Always be aware of the type of fabrics you wear fabrics like Shetland wool can damage Pearls
- Always remember that you are wearing a gift from the sea and the better you take care of them the longer they will maintain their warm glowing luster.